What's the conversion on e-mail newsletter with a call-to-action?
I have measured that in the past week. One of my websites has more than 500.000 user accounts. I picked the users who were not on the site in the last week, because they have already seen the news on the site, and got some 384.000+ distinct e-mail addresses. I needed to contact them regarding an important issue about the website. The e-mail was composed like this:
you are reading this mail because you are a member of [mysite link].
Issue explained and link with [call to action]
Links where not plain text, but special URLs I used to track the clicks.
I sent the e-mail slowely over a 7 day period. I wanted to track weekends and working days as well.
And here are the stats:
- 384408 different e-mail addresses
- 13966 bounced back (3.6% bounce rate)
- 9345 clicks (yielding 2.5% conversion rate)
Hot spots in the e-mail message:
- 23% clicks on link in the first sentence
- 65% clicks on call-to-action
- 12% clicks on website link in signature
Here are the weekday stats:
- Monday 13%
- Tuesday 16%
- Wednesday 18%
- Thursday 18%
- Friday 15%
- Saturday 9%
- Sunday 11%